Thursday, March 22, 2012

So much for our life being uninteresting!!  We are back home in West Jordan.  We got in at 10:10 pm last night. Thankfully!  We road the charter bus from Bellingham to Seattle which left at 3:15 pm and arrived at the airport about 5:45 pm.  As usual we got a wheelchair for dad and were taken right through security with no waiting.  I got all my stuff and then the security officer came and asked Dad if he had a bag following my bags.  We thought he had all his stuff but when we went to gather them all, his man purse was not there so we told security and they swarmed around us and asked Dad if he was aware he had a firearm in his briefcase?  Oh, my gosh!!!!  He totally forgot he brought it up with us when we drove up to take the Excursion and leave it.  In came all the security people (I wish I had pictures but I wasn't thinking about that right at the moment) followed by all the Port Police and then the TSA administrator.  After they got all the information from both of us, they explained that the procedure is they arrest him, take him into custody and take him upstairs where he would be interrogated by the FBI, taken to jail, yada, yada, yada.  I was surprised at how calm I was especially since Dad had told the assistant going through all the hassle at security was bull.....  Sometimes his mouth gets him into trouble.  I get embarrassed and he thinks it's his right and he's right.

Anway, the officers were all so nice!  Since our flight was leaving at 7:15 pm, they said they weren't going to follow "procedure" but they took his bag upstairs and confiscated the gun.  They will report him and the incident, send it to the prosecutor and he will decide what to do about it.  He could face jail time, pay a fine ranging from $500 to $3000.00, or both or nothing.  We will receive the findings in the mail at some point.  They said the government is slow so it might be months before we hear anything.  Oh, and by the way, they said Dad's concealed weapon permit has expired in 2004.  Argh!  Meanwhile, the TSA administrator advised me to get a doctor's letter explaining Dad's "mental condition" and make sure when we do hear from the TSA I completely detail exactly what happened even though they explained it a little in their report.

This is so ironic to me because whenever I hear of something like this happening on the news, I freak out and ask what kind of a person would try to get a gun through security?  Now I know it can be very innocent but the TSA doesn't take things lightly.

So, this morning we go see Dr. Johnson and try to get a letter from him and a prescription for some extra insulin since I left it all in Bellingham in the refrigerator.  I knew I was going to do that too.  Yes, I'm getting old and forgetful too!  Getting old sucks sometimes.

Thanks Jennifer for picking us up from the airport and Kali for cleaning the house before we got home!  My neighbor who watches our house for us had a sugar-free cherry pie waiting for us and then she had to come over and see me because she couldn't wait until today so we talked until close to 1:00 pm.  I was exhausted and went to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.