Saturday, September 13, 2014

UPDATE POST-COLONOSCOPY

First off, here is a picture Nikki sent me of the ceiling in my kitchen.  Mike is so talented!



We needed to be at LDS Hospital by 7:00 am yesterday (Friday, September 12, 2014) so we left here about 6:00 am not knowing exactly how long it would take us.  Neither one of us slept much last night.  Bob had to finish his nasty stuff at midnight so we tried to sleep about 2:00 pm.  I got up at 5:00am to get ready and make sure he had time to use the bathroom before we left.  You would think with all the inventions and technology, they could at least come up with a way of flavoring the nasty stuff so it was more palatable.  Ugh!

He was scheduled for a procedure at 8:00 am but the doctor had an emergency during the early morning hours so he had to put that patient in before him.  He went in to surgery about 8:40 am.  At 10:00 am, I still hadn't heard anything so I did start to get a little concerned but a nurse came out about then and said they had to change his IV and had a difficult time finding a vein so it took quite a bit longer.

Dad is the worst patient and has no patience when things don't go the way he expects them to.  It's a little embarrassing for me but that's just him and nothing I say makes any difference.  The doctor finally came in and showed us the pictures and explained what he found.  He said the lesion on the lower colon was nothing and his colon was clean with no problem.  He was, however, able to go through the colon wall and do a biopsy of the mass in his right abdomen.  He also gave us pictures of that ultra sound and the colonoscopy.  He said they looked at part of the biopsy on a slide and he said it was definitely abnormal, feeling it was definitely some type of cancer but they would know a lot more after the results come back in a week to 10 days.

I can't remember what brought this up, but I apparently mentioned something about the thickening in his lower esophagus that showed up on the CT scan from the ER.  He seemed perplexed by that but said that may be the answer to the question of where the mass came from because stomach cancer can produce that type of mass.  He said we might have to do a scope but would wait until the results are back and go from there.  If the results are for sure cancer, we would be scheduled to see an Oncologist at that point.  I had a blessing of comfort and peace last night and felt calm with this news.  Dad feels everything will be fine.  He feels he can go through whatever treatment is needed and everything will be alright.  I think I am more of a realist at this point.  He asked me this morning if we are going to have to cancel our move to Texas and I told him not unless he wanted to.  He definitely wants to go.  He has been anxious to do that since we decided on it back in January.

There probably won't be more updates on his health for a couple of weeks but things are starting to move faster on the house and it's now at the really fun point where we will be able to see big changes. That, of course, means more pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.